A Sustainable Model for Degree Programs: Peer Educators
It's easy to establish a sustainable peer education model for new students in your degree program! (It is also a great way to practice your teaching and leadership skills.)
Here's how it can work:
- Late stage graduate students should talk with the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) about the training needs of incoming & early stage students.
- Together you will select the topic(s) to teach to entering students. (For example, CV basics.)
- Meet with staff from the the MU Career Center of Office of Graduate Studies to discuss your goals, professional development interests, schedule and learning material needs.
- Late stage students attend training to learn about the topic (such as CV basics) and obtain tips for effective teaching methods. Invite faculty & postdocs, too!
- After training, schedule a seminar for early stage students in your degree program.
- In subsequent years, the cycle repeats.