Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering
February 12th, 2018
Note: This program is not accepting applications at this time.
Preparation for the Program
Students with degrees in physics or chemistry are generally adequately prepared for the nuclear engineering graduate program. Those from other backgrounds may be required to complete engineering undergraduate courses in thermodynamics, advanced engineering mathematics and the full complement of calculus-based physics, based on the student’s particular experience.
Plan of Study
The nuclear engineering master’s degree program requires 31 hours, including a research project or thesis. The requirements are based on the assumption that the student is entering graduate study with a bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET-accredited school. An original research project is required either in the form of a three-credit master’s project or a six-credit master’s thesis. Typical time-to-degree completion for the master’s degree is 18 months.
Fall deadline: March 1
Spring deadline for International students: September 1
Spring deadline for Domestic Students: October 1
Applications received after those time frames will be reviewed for acceptance only as time permits.
- Minimum GRE score: none set
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 during last 2 years
- Undergraduate degree (with a strong math and physics background) in an engineering field, physics, biology, chemistry or mathematics from an accredited institution.
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- 3 letters of recommendation and the online recommendation form from previous instructors or technical employers who are familiar with the student’s qualifications for graduate study, submitted directly online through the application. (If the student is applying to the PhD program, one of these letters must be from the MS advisor.)
- Statement of Purpose (uploaded via online application)
- Official GRE score report Department Code 1609