Library and Information Science, Master of Library and Information Science
February 12th, 2018
Upon successful completion of the 39-hour Library and Information Science program, students receive a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS). The program is accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
Fall addeadline: July 15
Spring admission deadline: December 15
- Applications are accepted and reviewed for admission continuously until the capacity is met.
- All applications received after the above dates will be considered for admission in the following semester.
- Undergraduate GPA (Grade Point Average): Minimum 3.0 in last 60 hours of degree
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required if applying for admission Spring 2016 and later
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Minimum 550 (paper-based) or 80 (Internet-based)
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type|| Total Score|| Reading|| Listening|| Speaking|| Writing|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose answering three questions:
- Where do you plan to reside during your program of study? (Choose one of the following locations.)
Columbia, MO / Kansas City Metro Area / St. Louis Metro Area / Springfield, MO / Nebraska / Another Location (please provide location)
- One 250 word essay question answering the question: Why do you want to earn a master’s degree in Library and Information Science?
- One 250 word essay question answering the question: What areas of Library and Information Science interest you; do you anticipate working in a particular type of library or information agency?
Detailed application instructions are available at: https://sislt.missouri.edu/lis/.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Every year SISLT provides more than $22,000 in merit and need-based financial support to new and current LIS students.
- Application deadline: March 1.
More information is available at: https://sislt.missouri.edu/lis/.