Doctorate in Philosophy
February 12th, 2018
Fall deadline: February 20
- Average GPA in the major: 3.9
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||100||17||17||23||17|
Average GRE Scores
|When did you take the GRE?||Verbal||Quantitative|
|Prior to August 1, 2011||650||700|
|On or after August 1, 2011||163||155|
Although we award an MA degree, we admit students to our PhD program only (with the MA obtained in the process). Any unusual circumstances regarding failure to meet the minimum requirements should be called to the attention of the director of graduate admissions.
Eligibility for any graduate work in philosophy requires the equivalent of the following six undergraduate courses in philosophy: formal logic, ethics, ancient philosophy, modern philosophy, epistemology, and metaphysics.
Deficiencies may be made up after the student is enrolled at MU.
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- 3 letters of recommendation (submission through the online application system strongly preferred, but postal mail submission directly to the department allowed)
- Statement of interest (upload to the online application)
- Writing sample (upload to the online application)
- Departmental application (download this from https://philosophy.missouri.edu/grad/apply-graduate-program and then upload to the online application).
- GRE score report: MU’s school code is 6875; philosophy’s department code is 2801 (Only electronic scores are acceptable)
- TOEFL score: MU’s school code is 6875; philosophy’s department code is 2801 (International applicants only)