Fall deadline: January 15
*Note: Deadlines are firm, and no applicant is considered for admission until all required information is received.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 undergraduate; 3.5 graduate
- Applicants should have demonstrated interest, education or professional experience in journalism, advertising, public relations, mass communication or a related field. A degree (bachelor’s or master’s) in one of those fields or two years of full-time professional media experience is preferred. All required information must be received before the admission review can begin. Applicants may be required to participate in an interview with the doctoral faculty as part of the review process. Students who did not write a thesis in their master’s program may be required to complete a project to demonstrate their ability to do independent research.
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
Suggested GRE Scores
|When did you take the GRE?||Verbal + Quantitative|
|Prior to August 1, 2011||1100|
|On or after August 1, 2011||V: 156+; Q: 146+|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
Please upload the following application materials into the Graduate Studies online application:
- Upload unofficial copies of all transcripts (in English) to the Academics of your application.
- Statement of Doctoral Objectives
- Writing sample (such as thesis proposal, project proposal, sole authored or first authored papers)
- 3 letters of recommendation (use the online Graduate Studies application system)
- GRE score