Doctorate in Economics
February 12th, 2018
Fall deadline: February 1
- Undergraduate GPA: 3.0
- Ordinarily, to be accepted for advisement in the PhD program, a student must have a master’s degree in economics, or, alternatively, the student must meet the requirements for admission to the MA program, together with the requirement of an adequate background in economics, mathematics and statistics.
Minimum GRE Scores
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- 3 letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application or mailed directly to the department)
- Resume (uploaded through the online application or mailed directly to the department)
- Personal statement (uploaded through the online application or mailed directly to the department)
- Official GRE scores
- International students: copy of official TOEFL or IELTS scores
Requirements for the doctoral degree
For those entering the program with a bachelor’s degree, the following courses are required:
- Econ 8370 (mathematics for economics);
- Econ 9451 and Econ 9452 (microeconomics);
- Econ 9453 and Econ 9454 (macroeconomics);
- Econ 9472 and Econ 9473 (econometrics);
- 6 credit hours of Econ 9413 (PhD research workshop);
- 6 credit hours of 9000-level economics courses in one area of specialization;
- Four other 9000-level economics courses (excluding 9090 and 9480);
- Up to 15 credit hours of Econ 9085, Econ 9480 or other approved electives;
- 12 or more credit hours of dissertation research (for a total of 72 credit hours).
Courses taken to satisfy these requirements (except dissertation research) may be taken while earning an MA at MU, or, as with students entering the program with prior graduate coursework, at other accredited colleges and universities as recommended by the Graduate Studies Committee.