To The Top


To be considered a candidate for the completion of a graduate degree, graduate certificate, or graduate minor, you must complete all necessary paperwork as well as the Application for Completion of Degrees, Certificates and Minors by the posted deadlines.  Late submissions will be processed in the order received AFTER all submissions made by the deadline are finalized.  Failure to meet the deadlines will result in the delay or postponement of your graduation. 



Summer 2018Fall 2018Spring 2019Summer 2019Fall 2019
Application OpenDecember 18, 2017 – February 16, 2018July 23, 2018 –
October 12, 2018
December 21, 2018- February 22, 2019December 21, 2018- February 22, 2019July 22, 2019 –
October 11, 2019
RSVP Open*See
Commencement Participation Policies
July 23, 2018 – November 30, 2018January 22, 2019 –
April 19, 2019

Commencement Participation Policies

July 22, 2019 – November 29, 2019

M3/S3/D4 and
thesis or dissertation
materials due by
July 20, 2018November 30, 2018May 3, 2019July 12, 2019November 22, 2019

*please take note of earlier deadline

due to Thanksgiving Holiday/Fall Break

Due to degree processing deadlines,
late submissions will not be accepted after this date
July 20, 2018December 7, 2018May 10, 2019July 19, 2019December 6, 2019
Commencement*See Commencement Participation Policies

Friday, December 14th

in The Hearnes Center at 7:30pm

Friday, May 17th in
Hearnes Center
at 1 pm: Doctoral Hooding

3:30 pm: Masters and Educational Specialists

Commencement Participation Policies

will be held
December 13th and 14th

Specific Dates and Times TBA

Graduation Application

The online application for graduation is available six weeks before the first week of classes each semester. It must be completed in order for a student to be considered a candidate for graduation at the end of that term. Fill out the Application for Completion of Degrees, Certificates and Minors.

Before you apply for graduation, you must already have an approved plan of study on file with the Office of Graduate Studies. Failure to file a plan of study may mean a delay of graduation. Consult with your program to confirm that your plan of study is on file.

For Master’s and Educational Specialist candidates 

If you do not graduate at the end of the term you for which apply for graduation and you plan to register for another semester of classes you must:

  • Apply for graduation again.
  • Contact the Office of Graduate Studies before registering for classes.


Check with your academic program to make sure all of your paperwork has been submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies for graduation. See the graduation requirements for master’sdoctoral and educational specialist student.

Thesis or Dissertation Submission

Students writing a thesis or dissertation must submit to the Office of Graduate Studies by the semester deadline:

Please consult the Guidelines for Preparing a Thesis or Dissertation for formatting and submission requirements.

Final Exam and Enrollment Requirements

For all Graduate Degree-Seeking Candidates

  • Students expecting to present a thesis, manuscript, project, portfolio or dissertation or to take comprehensive exams must be enrolled and be examined during the regular semester session. You may defend, present or take final exams any time during the regular semester session excluding holidays, weekends and semester breaks.
  • When your final exam has been completed, the results must be submitted to the Office of the Office of Graduate Studies by the semester deadlines. Please consult with your program for department procedures regarding this matter.

Doctoral Candidates

  • Post-comp doctoral students are required to enroll in two hours of course work in the spring, two hours of course work in the fall and one hour of coursework in the summer.

Master’s and Educational Specialist Candidates

  • Master’s and educational specialist students who have completed all their course work and need only to take comps or defend a thesis or project should enroll for “8999 Graduate Examination.”
  • Registration in the “Graduate Examination” does not count toward enrollment certification. Students enrolled in the “Graduate Examination” would not be considered full-time or part-time. If students need to use the library or computers on campus, they should enroll in at least one hour of regular credit instead of Graduate Examination.
  • Students that have a financial aid or visa situation should check with Financial Aid or the International Center respectively before registering for the Graduate Examination option. Failure to do so could cause serious consequences for the student’s financial aid or visa status.
  • Extra fees apply for access to the Student Health Center and the Student Recreation Center. Please consult the Cashier’s Office for these optional fees.

Name on Your Transcript and Diploma

The name on your transcript and diploma will be the same as is listed in the University’s database through myZou.

  1. Check your name in myZou under Personal Information > Names > Primary Name.
  2. You may update your name at the Office of Graduate Studies, 210 Jesse. Bring your driver’s license, Social Security card, marriage license or passport showing your current name. Names will not be changed after the last day of the semester. For help call 573-882-6311.

More About Your Transcripts

Once your degree or graduate certificate has been awarded, the following additional information is printed to your official transcript approximately 14-18 days after the close of the semester:

  • Degree
  • Major
  • Emphasis (if applicable)
  • Minor (if applicable)
  • Graduate Certificate (if applicable)
  • Date of Conferral

The Office of the University Registrar transcript department is located in 125 Jesse Hall. Transcript requests can be made in person, by mail, by fax or online.

If you want to order a transcript that includes your degree or graduate certificate, please indicate on your request that you want to your transcript to be held until your final grades and degree are posted.

More About Your Diploma

Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address approximately 12-14 weeks after graduation. To ensure delivery of your diploma, any address changes must be made on or before the last day of the semester. Corrections can be made on myZou or at the Office of Graduate Studies, 210 Jesse Hall. Address changes cannot be made over the phone.

For additional diploma questions and information, please send an email to: 


“Commencement” is the ceremony that recognizes graduate students for the completion of their master’s, educational specialist and doctoral degrees.

Learn More about Commencement

Questions Regarding Graduation

If you have questions about any of the information provided, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies, either via email to or by phone at 573-882-6311, toll free at 800-877-6312.