Doctorate in Romance Languages & Literatures
Fall deadline: February 15
Spring deadline: October 15
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 in field of major
- Doctoral applicants must have a master’s degree
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
Applicants must also demonstrate adequate preparation in advanced language and literature courses. This will require their having completed at least four courses equivalent to a 4000-level course for masters applicants or a 7000 level course for doctoral applicants at the University of Missouri. At a minimum, three of these courses must be in literature. If the faculty determines a deficiency, they will require that the student complete remedial course work in literature during the first year of enrollment. The director of graduate studies will inform students of these additional requirements at the time of their admission.
Internal Doctoral Applicants
Students who wish to advance to the doctoral program after completing their MA degree in the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures may do so only after receiving written approval from the MA examining committee. Alternatively, candidates may not advance to the doctoral program if the examining committee determines, after the MA examination, that their degree is terminal.
Students advancing directly from the MA to the PhD program need to complete only a Change of Degree Program form, which the department submits to the Graduate School.
Students who apply to the doctoral program one semester or more after completing their MA examinations must complete a Request to Re-enroll form and reapply to the doctoral program. They must submit a new departmental application and reference letters. They need not submit a new application to the Graduate School.
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
For the Romance Languages Program (Please use the Graduate Studies online application system)
- 10-15 page writing sample in language of desired degree program, must be uploaded to the online application
- 500-word Personal Statement, uploaded to the online application
- 3 letters of recommendation, submitted through the online application
- Résumé or CV
- TOEFL scores (international applicants only)
- Photocopies of diplomas earned at colleges/universities outside the US (international applicants only)