Founded in 1907, the School of Music is one of the larger academic units in the College of Arts and Science. Comprised of 38 full time faculty members and approximately 300 music majors, it is small enough to permit close, personal interaction between students and faculty, but large enough to provide many wonderful opportunities for talented students to excel. Our primary mission is to prepare students to become professional musicians and music educators. The School of Music is widely known for its scholarship in the field, and it is an important cultural resource for the profession, the campus community, and the people of Missouri.
Degrees and Certificates Offered
Offered by School of Music:
- Master of Music (MM) specializing in Collaborative Piano, Composition, Conducting, Music Education, Music Theory, Performance or Piano Pedagogy
- Master of Arts (MA) specializing in Musicology
- Graduate Certificate in Jazz Studies or Music Entrepreneurship
Offered by College of Education:
Degrees related to music education (EdSp and PhD) are offered by the Department of Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum in the College of Education in conjunction with the School of Music. These degrees include:
- Educational Specialist (EdSp) in Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum with emphasis in Music Education
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum with emphasis in Music Education
Application and Admission Information
Detailed admission information may be found at http://music.missouri.edu/grad/graduate-program?q=grad/steps-applying. Music applicants must complete the Graduate Studies online application;
Prospective MM and MA-Musicology students may contact the associate director to request information about the prerequisites and graduation requirements for specific academic areas, and assistantships or other financial aid.
Prospective students in music education (MM, EdSp and PhD) should contact the director of music education.
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
Director of Graduate Studies
135 Fine Arts Building
Columbia, MO 65211
Director of Graduate Studies in Music Eduction
268 Fine Arts Bldg.
Columbia, MO 65211