Doctorate in English
Fall deadline: January 1
- Minimum GRE score: not set
- MA in English or its equivalent
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- English department application (built into the Graduate Studies online application)
- GRE scores: The general test is required. Students are also welcome to submit subject test scores, and strongly encouraged to do so if their previous work is in a field other than English.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose (approximately 500 words): The admissions committee is interested in your past academic interests, including specific papers and projects you have worked on, and what you wish to accomplish as a graduate student. If you wish to pursue a particular emphasis (Creative Writing, Folklore, etc.), you should explain why. The Statement of Purpose serves as your request to be considered for a Graduate School fellowship.
- Writing sample: One 15-20 page scholarly paper for students applying for Literature Studies or for English Language and Linguistics. Creative Writing applicants should submit one critical/scholarly paper and one of the following: a sample of your fiction (15-30 pages), creative non-fiction (15-20 pages), or poetry (15-20 pages).
Admission contact information
Department of English
114A Tate Hall
Columbia, MO 65211