Doctorate in Electrical and Computer Engineering
The ECE department offers the Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Priority deadline for Fall entrance: January 1; rolling thereafter
- Priority deadline for Spring entrance: October 1; rolling thereafter
- Minimum GPA: 3.5 (with A = 4.0) in the last 60 hours of the MS graded coursework
- Holds the equivalent of a BS degree in electrical or computer engineering with an outstanding record, or holds the equivalent of an MS degree in electrical or computer engineering
- Consideration in doctoral program admissions is given to the applicant’s grade trends, experience and maturity, and to the availability of expertise in areas of the applicant’s technical interest.
Minimum GRE Scores
|When did you take the GRE?||Quantitative||Verbal||Analytical|
|Prior to August 1, 2011||90th percentile||Will Be Considered||Will Be Considered|
|On or after August 1, 2011||90th percentile||Will Be Considered||Will Be Considered|
International applicants only:
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Statement of Purpose (upload to the Supplemental information section of the application)
- Upload unofficial copies of all transcripts to the online application system. Applicants provide official transcripts if accepted by the academic program
- Copies of your GRE scores (upload to the Test Information section of the application)
- Copies of your TOEFL or IELTS Scores (for non-native English speakers only) (upload to the Test Information section of the application)
- 3 letters of Recommendation (the department accepts electronic recommendations — in the recommendation section of the online application, enter the information for three recommenders. Each recommender will receive an email with instructions on how to complete the recommendation). The department does also accept hard copy letters of recommendation. The letters may be mailed to: Graduate School, 210 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211.
Note: When registering for GRE, or TOEFL exams, be sure to designate your program of interest at the University of Missouri-Columbia. MU’s Institutional Code is 6875 (no departmental code is necessary).
To be accepted outright by the director of graduate studies (DGS), the student needs to have an MS degree in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.
Students who meet the academic requirements but have degrees in other engineering or science disciplines can be accepted into the PhD program by the Graduate Program Committee (GPC).
Students who don't meet the above requirements may still be admitted by the GPC if there are mitigating factors. Consideration in doctoral program admissions is given to the applicant's grade trends, experience and maturity, and to the availability of expertise in areas of the applicant's technical interest.
Outstanding BS students who meet the following requirements may be accepted directly for advisement in the department's doctoral program:
- Holds the equivalent of a BS degree in electrical or computer engineering
- GRE quantitative score of at least the 90th percentile
- TOEFL score of at least 550 paper-based. IELTS score: 6.5
- A 3.5 or better grad point average (A=4.0) in their undergraduate studies
- Submission of three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant's engineering or related work
- Submission of a statement of research interests
Additional information can be obtained from the Graduate Division of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 349 Engineering Building West, Columbia, MO 65211, or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.