Masters Veterinary Medicine and Surgery
About the Program
The College of Veterinary Medicine, through the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, offers graduate work leading to the master of science degree in veterinary biomedical sciences with an emphasis in veterinary medicine and surgery. In addition, faculty within the department offer supervision for doctoral and postdoctoral study and research. Many but not all graduate students in this area of study combine their graduate degree training with clinical residency programs leading to board certification in some specialty field within veterinary medicine.
Types of Study
The program provides advanced training in anesthesiology, comparative cardiology, equine, food animal and companion animal medicine and surgery, neurology, oncology, comparative ophthalmology, radiation oncology, radiology, nutrition, and theriogenology among other areas.
Admission Criteria (Campus Program)
Fall deadline: n/a
- Completion of a bachelor’s or professional degree
- Identification of a mentor with graduate faculty standing within the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery
- Identification of funding (with advice of mentor) for the period of research and study
Minimum GRE score
- GRE is only required for applicants who are not employed in a MU VMS Veterinary Residency Program)
- Minimum scores should be considered as guidelines not a guarantee of admission
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||80||17||17||17||17|
The majority of MS students within our program are completing specialty residency training programs in some field of veterinary medicine simultaneously with the MS degree. Admission to these programs generally precedes admission to our graduate programs. The GRE requirement may be waived for exceptional students by the Veterinary Medicine and Surgery Departmental Research and Graduate Studies Committee. Applicants may be asked to strengthen any deficiencies in prerequisites to the chosen area of concentration through enrollment in a post- or non-degree graduate student program.
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- GRE scores (Required for applicants who are not employed in a MU VMS Veterinary Resdiency program)
- Three letters of recommendation
Admission Contact Information
900 East Campus Drive
Columbia, MO 65211