Doctorate in Biomedical Sciences Area (Ph.D.)
About the Doctoral Degree Program
The Biomedical Sciences Area PhD is a multidisciplinary program that integrates molecular, cellular and systemic biology within the context of biomedical research. The program provides the student with the background to investigate questions relevant to the Medical sciences at the integrative, molecular or cellular level and to relate the findings to mammalian physiology. Training in both fundamental and state-of-the-art research methodologies help students develop the skills necessary for competitive biomedical research. The program is administered through the Department of Biomedical Sciences (College of Veterinary Medicine) that has research faculty representing a diversity of Medical-related basic science disciplines, including anatomy,biochemistry, histology, pathology, molecular biology, physiology, pharmacology and toxicology. The program offers a rich environment for graduate study and a unique opportunity for training scientists in comprehensive interdisciplinary research.
Fall deadline: January 5
Spring deadline: September 15
Summer deadline: January 5
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Required prerequisite courses: Biology (10 hrs), Physics (3 hrs), Biochemistry (3 hrs), Chemistry (10 hrs), Calculus (3 hrs)
NOTE: The GRE requirement may be waived for applicants with an MD or DVM.
Minimum GRE scores
|When did you take the GRE?||Verbal + Quantitative||Analytical|
|Prior to August 1, 2011||1000||3.5|
|On or after August 1, 2011||300||3.5|
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Test Type||Total Score||Reading||Listening||Speaking||Writing|
|TOEFL Internet -based||100||17||17||17||17|
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate Studies online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Program-specific application (built into the Graduate Studies online application)
- Letter of intent addressed to the Director of Graduate Studies. 500 words or more.
- GRE scores
- Copy of transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Resume (Optional)