Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Choosing anĀ Adviser


A doctoral student selects an adviser or co-advisers by mutual consent from doctoral faculty members who are dissertation supervisors in the department or area program in which the major work is planned.


A master's student selects a consenting adviser from faculty members of the academic program in which the major work is planned. Before registering for each semester or session, the student consults the adviser concerning a program of courses.

Special circumstances

An adviser who retires or leaves MU may continue to serve as a student's adviser unless a written academic program policy prohibits such an arrangement.

If an adviser is unable or unwilling to continue to serve, the academic program, led by the director of graduate studies, will ensure that a replacement is found.