Salary & Benefit Negotiation
Before you negotiate any type of job offer (i.e., academic, business, government, industry, nonprofit), here's what you will need to do:
- Convince yourself that negotiation is in your best interest.
- Understand the negotiation process and terminology.
- Discuss disciplinary norms and nuances with your mentor.
- Calculate your living expenses and create a budget.
- Create a checklist of your "must haves."
- To set a salary goal, know your fair market value.
- Learn how answer "What is your salary expectation?"
- Practice your persuasive communication skills.
Whether your offer comes in person, over the phone, or by mail, be sure you take a day or two to review the total compensation package.
It's also good idea to discuss your offer with a mentor, partner or other trusted person before making a decision.