By now you are making good progress on your thesis or dissertation chapters. While you may continue to engage in in professional development activities, your time is limited. As a suggestion, during this stage you should be readying your job search documents.
Tip: if you will be pursuing an academic job, you should be applying for jobs as much as a year in advance of you desired starting date.
5 key professional development activities at this stage:
- Continue to Teach/Mentor/Work/Outreach
- CV/resume updated with work experience and transferable skills.
- Attend a seminar on salary/benefit negotiation.
- Attend a seminar on loan repayment and financial planning for early retirement.
- Stay on track to earn your degree.
Related to your job search
- Organize all of your job search documents & portfolio (if applicable)
- Confirm that your references are still willing to write letters & field phone calls.
- Tap into your networks for job leads.
- Search job databases. Set up job alerts.
- When you find a feasible position, apply!
- Go to a career services office to conduct a mock interview.
BTW, related to degree completion: