This is your first year as a graduate student. You are learning how to navigate the terrain of higher education and about the norms and nuances of your discipline. During this stage you will invest a great deal of energy getting acclimated to your degree program and integrating school-work-life responsibilities.
5 key professional development activities at this stage:
- Meet with your primary mentor or adviser to talk about professional development.
- Take stock of the transferable skills you possess by completing one or more checklists.
- Complete a Strengthquest inventory.
- Create an Individual Professional Development Plan. Set PD goals.
- Bookmark the calendar of professional development events.
Closely related to your professional development:
- Acclimate to your degree program and obtain your graduate handbook.
- Acclimate to campus by attending the Office of Graduate Studies' Orientation.
- If you will be teaching, attend the Graduate Assistant Teaching Orientation.
- Learn how to make the most the mentor-mentee relationship.
- Find a Peer Mentor to help you navigate organizational culture and achieve work-life integration.
- Explore campus and online resources for research and scholarship.
- Start your CV or research-focused resume.
- Start building your network! Join a campus-wide graduate student groups.
- Create a LinkedIn profile.
- Start exploring career options.