The International Teaching Assistant Program (ITAP)
The International Teaching Assistant Program (ITAP) is responsible for ensuring, through education, assistance and assessment, that all teaching assistants, research assistants, graduate instructors and postdoctoral fellows who are non-native speakers of English communicate effectively and appropriately in the classroom as required by state law and university policy.
ITAP offers many services to assess and develop communication and provide cultural development as a basis for a rewarding and enriching experience in the classroom. These include:
- Language assessment for teaching-assistant and graduate-instructor candidates,
- Teaching orientation for all non-native speakers of English,
- Oral-language instruction and improvement, and
- Ongoing support for new ITAs.
Hiring Department Responsibilities
Hiring departments and programs interested in having international graduate students teach or assist with instruction are responsible for the following:
- Registering students for assessment and orientation through the ITAP Blackboard/Canvas page, (Departments should contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they need to be added to this organization.)
- Ensuring the international student has had a language assessment through the ITAP program and that the results are appropriate for the duties of the position,
- Ensuring the international student has completed ONITA: the Orientation for New International Teaching Assistants before they take on their duties,
- Ensuring the international student does not teach or assist with instruction in his/her first semester at Mizzou without a waiver of the residency requirement, and
- Ensuring the international student is enrolled in ongoing professional development activities such as the ITAP Early Feedback Program.
ITAP's Conversation and Resource Exploration Series (CARES) program provides students with interactive presentations to help international graduate students succeed as students and professionals. The workshops and roundtables given through the ITAP CARES program are free, but register early to reserve your spot.
To receive updates about workshops and to enroll, join the ITAP CARES Canvas organization.
Any questions? Please contact the ITAP program at email@example.com.