Graduate and Commencement Hooding Information
Master’s and EdS
Wear your cap, gown and hood during the entire processional and ceremony.
- Put on the gown. Zip it half way up the front.
- Place the pointed end of the hood over your head and around your neck and shoulders with velvet side up.
- Smooth fabric flat over your shoulders.
- Safety pin the cord from the hood to the inside of your robe or loop the cord over a shirt button.
- Ask another person to check that the back of your hood is positioned correctly. The inside satin should be slightly rolled out.
- Place the cap on your head with the point in front. Tassel goes on the left (same side as heart).
Regalia and hooding instructions
Carry your hood. Wear your cap and gown.
- Put on your gown and close the zipper.
- Wear cap with the pointed end to the front. Tam may be worn on top of the head or slightly toward the back of your head. Tassel goes on the left (same side as your heart).
- Carry your doctoral hood. Grasp the small end, velvet side out, and hold up the hood.
- Fold the hood in half. Drape the hood over your left arm, placing the small end to the outside, away from your body. The velvet lays next to your wrist.
- Walk with your hood draped over your arm from the Field House into Hearnes Arena.
- Continue to hold the folded hood until it is time to give it to your adviser. When it is time to be hooded, everyone will be told to stand.
- When it is time for hooding, stand up and face your adviser. Grasp the small end of the hood and hand it to your adviser. Your adviser will unfold and open the hood.
- Your adviser will then place the hood over your head and make certain that your satin is slightly visible. (Tip: If you are taller than your adviser, you may have to bend forward slightly so that she or he can get the hood over your head).
Congratulations! Have a wonderful commencement!